John and I are ready for the temperature to drop and for Fall to officially arrive. To get into the mood, I whipped up a warm soup for dinner last night based on this recipe from Iowa Girl Eats.
Beef and Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 8 oz sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- salt and pepper
- 48oz chicken broth (see note in directions)
- 24oz good-quality marinara sauce (we used one from Mario Batali)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil, chopped (3/4oz package basil)
- 24oz fresh or frozen tortellini (we used a fresh cheese version from Whole Foods)
Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add shallots (or onions), ground beef, and mushrooms, then season with salt and pepper and saute until beef is brown and the vegetables are tender. This should take 10 – 15 minutes. Add garlic then saute for 30 more seconds. Add chicken broth, marinara sauce, spinach and fresh basil then turn heat to high and bring to a boil.
Carefully add tortellini to boiling soup then turn heat down to medium, and cook until tender.
Serve with crusty bread and/or Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!