Every year I receive emails from riders soliciting donations in support of their BP MS150 ride. I have always contributed money, but have been especially keen on donating something a bit more valuable to me these days…time. I have wanted to volunteer at this event for years, however scheduling and logistics have made it impossible. Until this year. Thanks to my dear friend, Sally, I spent last Saturday volunteering with TeamBP at the BP MS150.
Here is a brief look at how I spent last Saturday:
- 2:45 AM — Wake Up Call
- 4:00 AM — Report for Duty at BP Offices
- 4:30 AM — Receive Security Briefing & Assignments
- 4:45 AM — First Assignment – Traffic Control in BP Garage (Directing cars & riders)
- 7:00 AM — Depart BP Offices for La Grange
- 8:30 AM — Arrive at Hruska’s for obligatory restroom break and snacks/drinks
- 8:50 AM — Arrive at Team BP Camp in the Fayette County Fairgrounds
- 9:00 AM — Tour the grounds
- 9:30 AM — Second Assignment – Help decorate tents & set-up signage around Team BP Camp
- 11:00 AM — Third Assignment – Photographer (Yes! Take pictures of riders, volunteers and the scene)
- 1:00 PM — Eat lunch & visit with other volunteers, riders and spectators
- 1:40 PM — Sneak to my car during assigned break & take a nap (thank goodness for my yoga mat and seats that lay flat!)
- 2:45 PM — Fourth Assignment – Baggage Retrieval (hardest assignment of the day)
- 5:30 PM — Met up with Sally and friends for a quick snack
- 6:00 PM — Fifth Assignment — Logistics Review
- 7:00 PM — Finish the Day/Drive Back to Houston
- 8:45 PM — Arrive at Cliffwood – Shower/Dinner
- 9:30 PM — Work/Pack for Work Travel
- 11:00PM — Lights Out!
Although the day was long, I had a wonderful experience. I am truly in awe of those who not only rode, but raised money for the MS Society. I am also very proud of Sally for all the work she did to organize the event and Team BP (including the work leading up to the event and the finale on Sunday). Consider me the new President of the “We Love Sally” fan club.
Please consider getting involved with the BP MS150 event in 2013! Ride, volunteer, donate or spectate — it’s a great event that supports a wonderful cause!