During our stay in New Orleans, John and I stayed at the W French Quarter (a Starwood hotel). We previously stayed at this hotel in 2004 and were pleased by the hotel’s updated decor, consistent hospitality and charm. As a loyal Platinum Starwood member, there was no doubt we would stay at a Starwood property while in New Orleans. However, with any hotel stay, there are usually a few likes and dislikes.
Here are ours…
- Location: Located in the Quarter, this hotel is close to everything. Even in the biting wind and cold air, we never had to walk far to get where we wanted to go.
- Customer Service: Everyone we encountered at the hotel was hospitable, friendly and helpful. As Platinum members, we were given top-notch treatment, including early check-in (we checked in before 10 AM), late check-out (until 4 PM), a complimentary bottle of wine, welcome gift (chocolate truffles), quick response to our asks for assistance, and a room upgrade.
- Modern Decor: Like all W Hotels, the decor at the French Quarter location is decidedly modern and sleek. We love it. We also love the gorgeous courtyard that can be used for swimming, lounging and relaxing.
- Room Size: Most rooms are small at the hotel. As in, very small. Thankfully, we had an upgrade or we would have been very cramped.
- Room Lighting: Most of the rooms are short on natural light, or big windows, for that matter. Since we both usually work on vacations, or at least check emails and participate in conference calls, natural light and connectivity to the world is necessary for us.
- Price: Truthfully, this hotel can be very pricey during peak times of the year. Fortunately, we were able to stay at the hotel free of charge by redeeming accumulated hotels points I acquired during recent travels. However, it’s all about priorities. Would you rather stay close to many destination points and save on food, activities and/or other areas of expense?
Finally, I should note that the hotel is currently undergoing reconstruction on its restaurant, bar and fitness center. However, this wasn’t a deal breaker for us as the hotel made special accommodations to overcome construction issues (offered room service and access to facilities at the nearby W NOLA). If traveling to New Orleans, I would highly recommend this hotel property.