Thanksgiving Dinner was faboush. And I’m not just saying this because I was the chef. Just ask my guests! 😉 Everything turned out beautifully this year! Here are the dishes I made, as well as their respective recipes.
Turkey with Apples and Onions (recipe from Whole Foods) (Gluten/Casein-Free)
- (14-pound) turkey, neck and giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh sage
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 crisp apples, such as Pink Lady or Fuji, peeled, cored and quartered
- 5 red onions, peeled and quartered
Preheat oven to 475°F. Pat turkey dry inside and out with paper towels; brush skin with butter. In a small bowl, combine sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Loosen skin over the turkey breast meat with your fingers and work a little of the sage mixture under the skin and over the meat. Sprinkle remaining mixture over skin and in the cavity of the turkey. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine and tuck the wings under the body; place in a large roasting pan fitted with a rack and roast 20 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350°F, tent breast loosely with a piece of foil and roast 1 hour longer.
Remove turkey from oven and baste with pan juices. Arrange apples and onions around turkey and continue to roast until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F or juices run clear (not pink) when you poke thigh with a paring knife, about 2 hours more. Transfer turkey to a platter and let rest 30 minutes before carving. Cover pan with foil to keep apples and onions warm and serve alongside turkey.
Snappy Green Beans (Shelly-modified) (Gluten/Casein-Free)
- 6 ounces pancetta
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons red balsamic vinegar
- 30 ounces green beans (freshly steamed)
- 16 ounces baby bella mushrooms
Place pancetta in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Saute onions in grease; add vinegar, and saute until onions are tender. Add green beans and mushrooms and cook until heated through. Top with pancetta.
Cranberry Sauce (all Shelly) (Gluten/Casein-Free)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 orange, peeled and pureed
- 1 apple – peeled, cored and diced
- 1 pear – peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cups chopped dried mixed fruit
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
In a medium saucepan, boil water and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to simmer, and stir in cranberries, pureed orange, apple, pear, dried fruit, pecans, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries burst. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
Kale Waldorf Salad (Whole Foods) (Gluten/Casein-Free)
- 4 cups packed finely chopped raw kale, preferably dinosaur kale
- 1 large red apple, such as Fuji or Honeycrisp
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons raisins, divided
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water, more if needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
Place kale in a large bowl. Chop half the apple and add to kale along with celery, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup raisins. Chop remaining half of apple and put in a blender along with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons raisins, mustard, water, vinegar and salt. Purée until well combined and slightly thick, adding water if needed to thin. Pour dressing over kale salad and toss to combine.
Pumpkin Pie (Gluten/Casein-Free)
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Preheat oven to 375° F.Combine all ingredients. Pour pumpkin mixture over prepared gluten-free pie crust. Bake filled crust for 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Optional: Add a half cup chopped pecans, sprinkled on top, immediately after pie comes out of the oven.
My Mom prepared the sweet potato casserole, the bread pudding and the chocolate pecan Bourbon pie.
What a great meal!