It’s that time of year again! Summer clerk time at John’s law firm! The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of events for them, and us. Last night, we followed last year’s tradition and hosted a few of the summer clerks, as well as a few associates, in our home for dinner (12 people total). At the firm, they call this a “Partner Dinner” (John is a Partner at the firm). Since last year’s dinner was a success, we went with the same theme — Mexican Fiesta!
It’s fun, casual and allows us to have one our favorite restaurants cater…Pico’s Mex Mex. This year we served empanadas as appetizers; tamales, enchiladas suizas, fajitas, beans and rice as the main course; and salsas, guacamole, queso, pico de gallo and chips on the side. In addition to Mexican beers, cokes and water, I also served up a pear sangria that was tasty and…strong! For dessert, we served up cupcakes from Crave.
Needless to say, these were a Huge hit! I mean, who doesn’t love cupcakes? Central Market did the flowers again this year.
They were very pretty and festive! In the end, we had a very successful evening with a good time had by all. Hey, people even left our house with cupcakes! I’d say that’s pretty successful! Now, I’ll leave you with a few entertaining tips that I have picked up over the years…
- Always have extra bagged ice on hand. Trust me, you will need it.
- Use vendors when you can. I’m the first one to admit that I love cooking and decorating, but when you have a large group it is easier to place orders and organize what the vendors provide. It also saves time (and your sanity)!
- Make sure you have enough serving utensils and platters/bowls. You can never have too many.
- Light some candles! They help create ambiance and can also create a warm environment.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. If you don’t, others won’t notice!