While at my in-laws home this weekend, I must have flipped through 24 issues of Rachel Ray’s magazine! 😀 One of the recipes I tore out to put in my “Must Cook” folder was Sunset Orzo with Spanish Shrimp. Since there is no time like the present, I made this dish for dinner tonight!
- 1/2 pound orzo pasta
- 2 pinches saffron threads
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/3 pound Spanish chorizo, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 1 pound medium shelled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the orzo and cook until just al dente. Drain and cover.
- While the pasta is working, in a small saucepan, steep the saffron in the chicken broth over low heat.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO, 1 turn of the pan, over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook until browned, 2 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and turmeric and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the peas.
- In another medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the parsley, paprika and lemon juice; season with salt. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the saffron broth over the chorizo and vegetables. Add the orzo and toss for 2 minutes. To serve, top the orzo with the shrimp.
This dish was a major hit in my house and I will be making it again! The flavors are unique and quite savory. For me, I think my favorite spice elements of the dish are the saffron and the turmeric. Heavenly!
Thank you, Rachel Ray!