Since I am in Baytown, my schedule has been a tad thrown off. For example, instead of Crock-Pot Monday, we had Crock-Pot Tuesday in the Cruz residence. To celebrate, I broke out an old school classic today — Red Beans, Sausage and Rice — but made some healthy modifications.
Red Beans, Sausage and Rice
- 16 ounces dried kidney beans
- 1 package Butterball Hot Turkey Sausage (5 links), sliced
- 1 32 ounce container low-sodium chicken stock
- 32 ounces water (or chicken broth)
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 T. Cajun Spice
- 1 T. Cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
Put all ingredients into the Crock-Pot and stir. Cook on Low for 10 hours. Serve with rice (brown rice!) and cornbread (Jiffy anyone?). Enjoy!